CE1252 – STRENGTH OF MATERIALS
L T P C
3 1 0 4
UNIT I ENERGY PRINCIPLES 9
Strain energy and strain energy density – Strain energy in traction, shear in flexure and
torsion – Castigliano’s theorems – Principle of virtual work – Application of energy
theorems for computing deflections in beams and trusses – Maxwell’s reciprocal
UNIT II INDETERMINATE BEAMS 9
Propped cantilever and fixed beams-fixed end moments and reactions for concentrated
load (central, non central), uniformly distributed load, triangular load (maximum at centre
and maximum at end) – Theorem of three moments – Analysis of continuous beams –
shear force and bending moment diagrams for continuous beams – Slope deflections in
continuous beams (qualitative study only)..
UNIT III COLUMNS 9
Eccentrically loaded short columns – Middle third rule – Core section – Columns of
unsymmetrical sections – (angle channel sections) – Euler’s theory of long columns –
critical loads for prismatic columns with different end conditions – Rankine-Gordon
formula for eccentrically loaded columns – Thick cylinders – Compound cylinders.
UNIT IV STATE OF STRESS IN THREE DIMENSIONS 9
Spherical and deviatory components of stress tensor – Determination of principal stresses
and principal planes – Volumetric strain – Dilatation and distortion – Theories of failure
– Principal stress dilatation – Principal strain – Shear stress – Strain energy and distortion
energy theories – Application in analysis of stress, load carrying capacity and design of
members – Residual stresses.
UNIT V ADVANCED TOPICS IN BENDING OF BEAMS 9
Unsymmetrical bending of beams of symmetrical and unsymmetrical sections – Curved
beams – Winkler Bach formula – Stress concentration – Shear flow – Center.
L: 45 T: 15 Total: 60
1. Popov, E.P., “Engineering Mechanics of Solids”, Prentice Hall of India, 2003.
2. Rajput, R.K., “Strength of Materials”, S. Chand and Company Ltd., 2006.
1. Srinath, L.S., “Advanced Mechanics and Solids”, Tata-McGraw Hill Publishing
Company Ltd, 2005.
2. Punmia, B.C., “Theory of Structures (SMTS) Vol I and II”, Laxmi Publishing Pvt
3. Kazimi, S.M.A., “Solid Mechanics”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., 2003.
Powered by Blogger.