CE1004 – BRIDGE STRUCTURES
L T P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Design of through type steel highway bridges for IRC loading – Design of stringers –
Cross girders and main girders – Design of deck type steel highway bridges for IRC
loading – Design of main girders.
UNIT II STEEL BRIDGES 9
Design of pratt type truss girder highway bridges – Design of top chord – Bottom chord –
Web members – Effect of repeated loading – Design of plate girder railway bridges for
railway loading – Wind effects – Design of web and flange plates – Vertical and
UNIT III REINFORCED CONCRETE SLAB BRIDGES 9
Design of solid slab bridges for IRC loading – Design of kerb – Design of tee beam
bridges – Design of panel and cantilever for IRC loading.
UNIT IV REINFORCED CONCRETE GIRDER BRIDGES 9
Design of tee beam – Courbon's theory – Pigeaud's curves – Design of balanced
cantilever bridges – Deck slab – Main girder – Design of cantilever – Design of
UNIT V PRESTRESSED CONCRETE BRIDGES 9
Design of prestressed concrete bridges – Preliminary dimensions – Flexural and torsion
parameters – Courbon's theory – Distribution coefficient by exact analysis – Design of
girder section – Maximum and minimum prestressing forces – Eccentricity – Live load
and dead load shear forces – cable zone in girder – Check for stresses at various sections
– Check for diagonal tension – Diaphragms – End block – Short term and long term
1. Johnson Victor, D., “Essentials of Bridge Engineering”, Oxford and IBH
Publishing Co., 1990.
2. Ponnuswamy, S., “Bridge Engineering”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1996.
1. Jagadeesh, T. R and Jayaram, M .A, “Design Of Bridge Structures”, PHI Learning
Private Limited ,2008
2. Phatak, D.R., “Bridge Engineering”, Satya Prakashan, 1990.
Powered by Blogger.