REINFORCED CEMENT CONCRETE (R.C.C.)
Properties of R.C.C./Requirement of Good R.C.C
1. It should be capable of resisting expected tensile, compressive, bending and shear forces.
2. It should not show excessive deflection and spoil serviceability requirement.
3. There should be proper cover to the reinforcement, so that the corrossion is prevented.
4. The hair cracks developed should be within the permissible limit.
5. It is a good fire resistant material.
6. When it is fresh, it can be moulded to any desired shape and size.
7. Durability is very good.
8. R.C.C. structure can be designed to take any load.
Uses of R.C.C.
It is a widely used building material. Some of its important uses are listed below:
1. R.C.C. is used as a structural element, the common structural elements in a building where
R.C.C. is used are:
(c) Beams and lintels
(d) Chejjas, roofs and slabs.
2. R.C.C. is used for the construction of storage structures like
(a) Water tanks
(d) Silos and bunkers.
3. It is used for the construction of big structures like
(b) Retaining walls
(c) Docks and harbours
(d) Under water structures.
4. It is used for pre-casting
(a) Railway sleepers
(b) Electric poles
5. R.C.C. is used for constructing tall structures like
(a) Multistorey buildings
6. It is used for paving
7. R.C.C. is used in building atomic plants to prevent danger of radiation. For this purpose
R.C.C. walls built are 1.5 m to 2.0 m thick.