GeoStudio 2012 is a program designed for solving slope stability and related geotechnical analyses. You can also use it for the analysis of confined and unconfined steady-state seepage problems, of linear-elastic settlement and stress distribution problems, for tracking contaminants within the ground water flow, for the analysis of freeze-thaw problems and for 1D vadose zone and soil cover analyses.
What's new in version 8.1
1. Improved Solvers
- Each Solver has been directly integrated into GeoStudio via a new Solver Manager window. This lets you monitor the progress of the Solvers without leaving the GeoStudio environment.
- Each analysis is verified automatically before solving, and any errors are reported immediately. While solving, you can see the solution status of each analysis, check the analyses that you wish to solve, and stop the Solver. Errors encountered by the Solver are reported in the window.
- Solver speed has been improved for all products, particularly when you solve multiple analyses simultaneously. The SLOPE/W Solver has been totally revamped to taking advantage of modern multi-core processors. This results in significant speed increases, particularly for probabilistic and Newmark analyses.
2. Improved Convergence
- The finite element convergence schemes have been improved, allowing for faster solve times and more reliable convergence that is easier to understand. Improved under-relaxation schemes allow you to obtain solutions for highly non-linear problems. The review boundary process has also been improved, frequently reducing the number of review loops required.
- You can monitor the convergence history directly in Results view after each time step has completed by plotting the number of unconverged nodes for each iteration or time step.
3. Improved Modeling Environment
- The docking windows in GeoStudio 2012 allow you to view information in multiple views so you can quickly access the data you need. You can customize the display of docking windows to suit your particular needs. A new status bar provides both view information and quick access to commands such as zooming, and a progress bar during lengthy operations such as solving.
4. Improved Viewing of Results
- Results are now automatically displayed when you start solving a GeoStudio problem. Graphing results over time can be done as soon as each time step is computed, without waiting for the Solver to finish. These graphs can also now be generated as much as 20 times faster than in previous versions, and additional SLOPE/W graphs have been added.
- SLOPE/W results can now include computed finite element data. For example, you can show the critical slip surface on top of pore-water pressure contours, stress contours, or the liquefaction zone. You can also show color gradients when plotting factor of safety contours over the grid of slip surface centers.
5. Improved Probabilistic and Sensitivity Analyses
- SLOPE/W Probabilistic analyses can now be done on every trial slip surface, resulting in an improved understanding of the overall risk of failure. Likewise, each sensitivity run can be analyzed in detail, allowing you to view all slip surface information for all sensitivity runs.
- Both probabilistic and sensitivity parameters are applied separately for each analysis, allowing you to set up multiple scenarios within the same project. You can apply probability or sensitivity to any pore-water pressure option, not only piezometric lines.
6. Improved Licensing and Delivery
- GeoStudio 2012 is now being delivered to you completely electronically, without any physical packaging. This eliminates your shipping costs, speeds up and simplifies the purchasing process, and is more eco-friendly! All GeoStudio resources, including engineering books, are digitized and available online. Full-color printed books can be ordered separately as required.
- Stand-alone licenses no longer require a hardware dongle attached to your computer;
you simply activate your computer to use your GeoStudio license. To use your GeoStudio license on a different computer, you can transfer your activation to that computer.
- Network licenses are now controlled using a new license server with a web-based monitoring interface. Network licenses can be "re-hosted" onto new server hardware using an included activation utility.
7. Automate GeoStudio with GeoCmd
- GeoCmd is a command-line utility that makes it more convenient to work with large numbers of data files. You can automate GeoStudio to solve, upgrade, or generate reports for many project files sequentially.
8. Save Files in GeoStudio 2012 or 2007 Format
-Files created in GeoStudio 2012 can be saved as GeoStudio 2007 files, allowing you to continue working with other members of your team who have not yet upgraded.
9. Windows 8 Compatible
GeoStudio 2012 has been tested to meet all of the technical requirements to be Windows 8 Compatible. It will also run on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.