CE1354 – DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES
L T P C
4 0 0 4
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 12
Properties of steel – Structural steel sections – Limit state design concepts – Loads on
structures – Metal joining methods using rivets, welding, bolting – Design of bolted,
riveted and welded joints – Eccentric connections – Efficiency of joints – High tension
UNIT II TENSION MEMBERS 12
Types of sections – Net area – Net effective sections for angles and tee in tension –
Design of connections in tension members – Use of lug angles – Design of tension splice
– Concept of shear lag.
UNIT III COMPRESSION MEMBERS 12
Types of compression members – Theory of columns – Basis of current codal provision
for compression member design – Slenderness ratio – Design of single section and
compound section compression members – Design of lacing and battening type columns
– Design of column bases – Gusseted base.
UNIT IV BEAMS 12
Design of laterally supported and unsupported beams – Built up beams – Beams
subjected to biaxial bending – Design of plate girders riveted and welded – Intermediate
and bearing stiffeners – Web splices – Design of beam columns.
UNIT V ROOF TRUSSES AND INDUSTRIAL STRUCTURES 12
Roof trusses – Roof and side coverings – Design loads, design of purlin and elements of
truss, end bearing – Design of gantry girder.
1. Dayaratnam, P., “Design of Steel Structures”, 2nd Edition, S. Chand and Company,
2. Subramaian, N., “Design of Steel Structures”, Oxford University Press, 2008.
1. Ramachandra, S., “Design of Steel Structures – Vol. I and II”, Standard
2. Gaylord, E.H., Gaylord, N.C. and Stallmeyer, J.E., “Design of Steel Structures”,
3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Publications, 1992.
Powered by Blogger.