CE1352 – STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS II
L T P C
3 1 0 4
UNIT I FLEXIBILITY METHOD FOR INDETERMINATE FRAMES 9
Equilibrium and compatibility – Determinate Vs Indeterminate structures –
Indeterminacy – Primary structure – Compatibility conditions – Analysis of
indeterminate pin-jointed plane frames, continuous beams, rigid jointed plane frames
(with redundancy restricted to two).
UNIT II MATRIX STIFFNESS METHOD 9
Element and global stiffness matrices – Analysis of continuous beams – Co-ordinate
transformations – Rotation matrix – Transformations of stiffness matrices, load vectors
and displacements vectors – Analysis of pin-jointed plane frames and rigid frames.
UNIT III FINITE ELEMENT METHOD 9
Introduction – Discretisation of a structure – Displacement functions – Truss element –
Beam element – Plane stress and plane strain Triangular elements
UNIT IV PLASTIC ANALYSIS OF STRUCTURES 9
Statically indeterminate axial problems – Beams in pure bending – Plastic moment of
resistance – Plastic modulus – Shape factor – Load factor – Plastic hinge and mechanism
– Plastic analysis of indeterminate beams and frames – Upper and lower bound theorems
UNIT V SPACE AND CABLE STRUCTURES 9
Analysis of Space trusses using method of tension coefficients – Beams curved in plan
Suspension cables – Cables with two and three hinged stiffening girders.
L: 45 T: 15 Total: 60
1. Coates R.C., Coutie M.G. and Kong F.K., “Structural Analysis”, ELBS and
2. Negi, L.S. and Jangid, R.S., “Structural Analysis”, Tata McGraw-Hill
1. Ghali, A., Nebille, A.M. and Brown, T.G., “Structural Analysis” A Unified
Classical and Matrix approach”, 5th Edition, Spon Press, 2003.
2. Vazirani Vaidyanathan, R. and Perumail, P., “Comprehensive Structural Analysis
– Vol. I and II”, Laxmi Publications, 2003.
Powered by Blogger.